by Kailin Smallwood
On November 13, 2013, the inaugural class of “Blue Coats” were announced. These student leaders from across campus are involved in a diverse range of activities and various educational disciplines. They love UWG and have a story to tell about their experience.
The ideal “Blue Coat” candidate should have completed over 20 hours of volunteer work, have over a 3.5 GPA, be in good standing with the university and is an ambassador to their fellow classmates. These students had to go through an extensive interviewing process before being as a Blue Coat.
The “Blue Coats” serve as ambassadors for the university and hosts during UWG Foundation, UWG Alumni Association and other UWG events. “West Georgia believes that this will start a tradition for the many generations of students to come,” says Dr. Marrero. “The ‘Blue Coats’ will be the first faces that freshmen will see when visiting UWG.”
The full list of this year’s “Blue Coats” is included below. For more information about the “Blue Coats,” please visit www.westga.edu/development/.
Blue Coat Honorees:
• Summer Allen, Canton Ga, Junior Majoring in Criminology & Anthropology
• Carina Arellano-Garcia, Stone Mountain Ga, Sophomore Majoring in Early Childhood Education.
• Lina Bejarano, Loganville Ga, Junior Majoring in Criminology
• Stephen Boatman, Hogansville Ga, Junior Majoring in Political Science
• Joelle Chiasson, Peachtree City Ga, Junior Majoring in Mass Communications
• Ebony Hayes, Atlanta Ga, Junior Majoring in Management
• Mariah Jester, Jackson Ga, Junior Majoring in Marketing
• Shykel Larkin, Erie Pa, Sophomore Majoring in Computer Science
• Shabina Panjwani, Fayetteville Ga, Junior Majoring in English
• Katy Reid, Cedartown Ga, Junior Majoring in Psychology
• Sandra Santiago, Snellville Ga, Junior Majoring in Economics
• Solomon Seaborn, Atlanta Ga, Junior Majoring in Finance
• Allison Willis, Douglasville Ga, Senior Majoring in Biology for Secondary Education
• Hayley Wilson, Lawrenceville Ga, Junior Majoring in Special Education